La Maison des Collines (MDC) is a nonprofit organization with the vision of creating a six-bed palliative care home and a centre of excellence to serve citizens of the Outaouais region.
Our mission is to provide palliative care and high-quality support to end-of-life patients and their families. We aim to prevent and control debilitating physical symptoms and to offer the spiritual, psychological and emotional support needed by those in the final stages of life, in a calm, peaceful and tranquil environment.
We intend to collaborate with existing palliative care services and networks to ensure a continuity of services for patients transitioning from their community to the hospital or to other establishments.
The values of La Maison des Collines are closely linked to our history and are the cornerstone of our identity. They are the basic human qualities that guide us as we go about our work:
- The excellent care we provide shows the importance we place on human life and is a basic value for our palliative care home;
- Respect acknowledges that each individual has his or her own distinct identity, and has the right to be treated with courtesy, consideration and sincerity. Patients’ choices, reactions, privacy, physical and moral integrity, and confidentiality should be respected at all times. Respect also expresses the right to a healthy work environment free from all forms of harassment;
- Dignity is a basic right that protects the physical, psychological, spiritual and cultural integrity of each individual;
- Compassion, the act of expressing empathy, gives rise to the humanity and sensitivity needed when supporting patients and their loved ones at the end stage of life. Compassion for the suffering that the patient and his or her family are going through should be ever-present, and is an integral part of how we administer care;
- Empathetic listening and generosity are essential qualities that speak of greatness of spirit and the gift of self, and are also integral to how we provide care;
- Truth is a right that gives patients access to all information available on their condition so they can make appropriate, free and informed decisions.